Monday 9 July 2012

Old Tray Makeover - For A Friend.


I had this old Coca-Cola tray that I had bought years ago at a yard sale. I never use it. It has sat on a shelf since the day I bought it, why I even got it is beyond me. It was beaten up and scratched and not worth anything so I decided instead of throwing it out, I`ll redo it!

So, I was going to do it for me all cute and nice and then I thought... where will I put it.. Back on the shelf? Probably! I literally have NO where to put it what so ever. But I still didn't want to throw it out.

So I thought about it for a little bit and thought of a friend of mine right away! He could use a tray. lol. So I went to work! I knew what he would use it for, so I got creative. I "borrowed" a magazine (hehe borrowed as in took it... without him knowing) and starting going through it totally demolishing his mag. Cutting out words to decoupage to the tray. After cutting out what I thought was enough words and phrases I got out the paint.

I sanded the tray lightly making it as smooth as I could. Ready for the paint. At first I thought blue is nice. So I painted the whole inside of the tray blue.


The bottom of the tray was soooo horrible and rusty that it definitely needed a dark colour, so I chose Black


Once that was done and dry I decided I really didn't like that the tray was all blue inside. Even though most of it was getting covered up, I just didn't like it. So I taped around the edges and gave the bottom a couple coats of white!


I took off the tape once it was dry and out game the Mod Podge. I grabbed the magazine clippings that I cut out and placed them on the tray making sure they would all fit alright. After I was satisfied I mixed the Mod Podge with a little bit of water and was ready to go. One by one I glued the back of the clipping and glued it to the tray. After they were all glued down I went over the whole tray with a thin layer of Mod Podge and let it dry. Once dry I painted a thin layer of glaze over the whole tray (top and bottom). Let it dry. I don't know if I'm going to do multiple coats and sand it yet... will figure that out tomorrow after I let it sit abit.


I hope this doesn't offend anyone, and if it does I am sorry, I really had no intention to. Like I said, this is NOT FOR ME. It is for a friend, who is legally allowed to smoke for medicinal purposes only. I thought he could put all his "stuff" on it.

xOx

Click here to Like Designs & Decor on a Dime on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment