Saturday 30 June 2012

Decoupage ... The Lamp Shade Redo

I've started changing the colour scheme in the living room a little bit... I tend to get sick of colours quite easily actually. So instead of going drastic and doing all the walls, I do the little things.. like mirrors and lamps or picture frames.

Change the season, why not change the colour? I on the other hand, have a little bit of a problem with changing things to my favorite colour... The boyfriend... HATES all my bright cheerful colours, like orange and yellow! He says NO WAY!! Gurr on him, one day, I think I will just do it anyway... but not now! lol

What better way to redo a lamp than to throw some decorative paper on it and decoupage away! and I love my Mod Podge, so out it came. I have loads and loads of decorative scrapbook paper, so went through it and grabbed a few sheets for the shade!

You don't need much for decoupage! Once you have all your main supplies you will be good to go for awhile. 

What you'll need:
Lamp Shade
Paint
Decorative Paper
Mod Podge or Glue
Sealant
Sponge/Paint Brush - Or your hands, whichever you prefer
Sandpaper - If you are doing multiple coats of sealant


Thought it needed a little colour, so painted the top and bottom to match the mirror I just painted. So I taped up the top and bottom with masking tape and grabbed my purple (the colour of choice) and my sponge and went to work! If you are painting the shade with a lighter colour of paint, you might have to do a couple coats to get the right colour, the fabric tends to really soak up the paint!


Once it dries (which really doesn't take all that long with acrylics) I peeled off the tape and it was ready for the paper! Oh the fun part! I love getting my hands dirty!! lol

I took my paper and cut them into smaller strips so it would wrap around the shade just right. I also find it easier to work with smaller sections when I'm dealing with Mod Podge or glue.


I mixed my Mod Podge with a little bit of water to make it more creamy and so it will go a lot further and I put it in a container or a plate so it's easier to mix and get at with the sponge. Glue the back of the paper and stick it in place on the shade. Starting at the top, smooth the paper down making sure its stuck and there are no bubbles. Smooth a thin layer of Mod Podge on top of the paper.


Note: If working with glue, and not Mod Podge, I find it better to wait until the end to apply the top layer, grab your decoupage sealant and apply.

Repeat the above steps until the lamp shade is complete.


Let dry. I like to let mine sit ALL day or over night, making sure it's nice and dry. Depending on the look, you might want to continue applying layers of sealant. Remember, every few layers of sealant, perform a light sand (400).


Throw it on a lamp and it's ready to go!  Mine's not completely done as I still have to sand it... but that will be today! It really does amaze me just how much changing a few things in the home can really have such a positive affect on a person! I love keeping busy and I love looking around thinking... yup, I did that... Now what can I get up too. lol... What have you redone lately??

xOx

Click here to Like Designs & Decor on a Dime on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment